Sunday 31 August 2014

Hectic Happiness

Madness, parties, start of class, more school pride, loving life.
So much has happened since I last blogged, I'll probably forget to mention half of it/this will be a super long post...apologies!

From two Fridays ago until last Friday, UTSA ran something called 'Roadrunner Days' (our mascot is Rowdy the Roadrunner). This has meant there have been lots of different activities going on all week to induct and welcome back students to the university.




One of the events was the lighting of the UTSA sign, the first year they've done it but President Romo would like to continue it as a tradition. It was nice to be part of something new and I found all the 'school spirit' that bit less overwhelming, good practice for when I go to our first home American football game of the season next week. The season actually started last Friday and we beat the University of Houston, at their brand new stadium 27-7! GO 'RUNNERS!



I also started my classes this week. School pride, even followed me there, at the end of each syllabus there was the Roadrunner creed, because it had to be. Very new to me. American pride was also not far behind. One of my classes is 'Intro to Global Analysis', basically International Relations and even in the very first introductory class, I found myself biting my tongue so as not to massively offend people... I think I'm going to have to express my beliefs in class, carefully but remember to like America and it's policies loads when it comes to writing papers. I am also taking 'Texas History' which will be a lot of I heart Texas, America's great, 'Europe in the 19th Century' so I will get to find out what the Americans really make of us and 'Managing Criminal Justice Organisations' which just does what it says on the tin really. Being English has really helped when introducing myself to the lecturers as I can ask them am I allowed to write in 'English english' (I can, yay!) and they should remember me.

Being remembered and making yourself known, is massively important here. There is so much constant assessment in terms of quizzes and papers but also attendance and participation counts for so much of your grade. If a tutor doesn't think you have performed well enough in class or shown up enough, you can lose a whole letter grade. In 'Texas History' in fact, if I get an A in attendance and participation then I can skip the end of term exam and be given 100% for it. Major. It's going to be a lot of work but I am ready for it and looking forward to the challenge.

This week I also experienced my first social events with Chi Alpha, a Christian group on campus that a flatmate of mine has introduced me too.We had a huge water balloon fight with about 300 people, it was so much fun and then we had loads of fun at the 'Dance of the Ages' party. I want as 90s. The party was the girls only; I don't think I have ever been to a girls only dance and I certainly haven't been to a sober one in a while, but I really enjoyed myself, just letting my hair down for a few hours.


Even though I have had such a good time starting to make new friends and getting to know my flatmates, I really am so appreciative of the internet for letting keep in contact with my good friends back home and those studying abroad and my family. I am also really grateful to them for wanting to keep in touch with me!Much love. Till next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate