Saturday 16 August 2014

Greetings from the Lone Star State!

I have landed and I have moved into my campus apartment so I'm almost settled, certainly settled enough to now be blogging about it.

Firstly, just as I hope you've noticed is a theme of my blog, I am going to be honest. I don't see the point of dressing things up, here are the facts plain and simple, I am not going to tell you this has been easy and I've constantly smiled because I haven't. At the same time, this is not my sob story; I'm not a baby.

After 23 hours of travelling on Monday, I fell asleep crying. I had spent that day in 3 different time zones, I was alone, exhausted and quite frankly fed up. I spoke to the rents and Alex which helped loads but really I just needed sleep. I snuggled up and awoke feeling a lot more positive and ready to face the day ahead. I wandered onto campus and was glad that even though UTSA is 3 times the size of Keele (Keele has 10,000 students, UTSA has 30,000 and is small in America!!) the campus is pretty easy to navigate. I went to bed so much happier that night, aided by my back home support and loads of American reality TV (guilty pleasure, don't judge).

Wednesday and Thursday were international orientation days. They were great to get more hyped about the University but unfortunately, apart from the people I ate lunch with on Thursday who were lovely, I haven't managed to integrate properly with them all and make actual friends. Most of them, yes speak English but it's their second or third language. Props to them by all means, my French and German is very conversational so there is no way I could study at degree level in those languages, but unfortunately, it's difficult to connect with someone when you have to constantly repeat/rephrase what you're saying. I have noticed how my accent has lightened and I have started to speak slower already, though to be honest that will help as much in England as it will here (scouse and proud!!).

Thursday was another difficult night. I moved into my university accommodation at University Oaks. I am living in an all girl, 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom (I haven't shared a bathroom in about 8 years, help! I've grown accustomed to 1 hour baths) apartment on the second of 2 floors. It's really rather nice to be honest, no better or worse than at Keele, if anything the living spaces are a little bigger. So far, only I am here. One of the girls has moved her stuff in but she is yet to appear. Realising this after another long and busy day, when I've been feeling really lonely was not at all ideal, but hey ho, a little cry, rant to Alex, chat to the rents and a good night's sleep I was all good this morning.

This morning I sorted my last few bits and then made a trip to Target. It was a nightmare hour's walk in 30 odd degree heat but my room is now fully kitted out and my pictures are up and making the place so much more homely. I also bought a Brita filter water bottle as American tap water tastes like warm English tap water with an added dash of chlorine - bleurgh! and buying a water bottle everyday isn't that practical.

Hopefully tonight's sleep won't come after tears! Having my room like this is helping so much already. I'm also being sensible about this. At no point have I said 'I hate it here, I don't want to be here! Take me home!' Because that would be stupid. Yes, this is an incredibly difficult and there are certain situations I think could be helped by better planning on the part of the University but hey ho, this is the opportunity of a lifetime. I am literally just waiting on making friends, everything else is great. Classes start on 27th so my flatmates have to be moved in by then, and then it'll be term time and I'll be in lectures making friends. This won't be easy but it'll be damn worth it. 

Also, mini 'shoutout' to the weather here in Texas and to one of the greatest comedians to ever live. It is so unfair that he could make so many happy but not himself. Depression is an illness and suicide can be a consequence of it. R.I.P. Robin Williams. 



Goodnight Vietnam. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate