Sunday 24 August 2014

School Pride; Everything's Bigger in Texas

Coming from England to America I knew that there was going to be a 'peppiness' that I was going to have to get used to. In England there is pride, namely around sports but in general we're a reserved people that don't like to shout about ourselves too loudly, the Americans are the complete opposite.
On Wednesday, everyone on campus (to be fair at that point there wasn't too many) it seemed, turned out to watch the university's President Romo, undertake the ice bucket challenge courtesy of 2013's Mr and Mrs UTSA. - Check it out on YouTube. That was my first, minute taste.

Then on Friday, which was the first official day of the big move in weekend, I and quite a few more people, students, families and staff alike were introduced to the marching band and cheerleaders and it was awesome!!!!!!!! I'm a cheerleader at Keele and nowhere near the level of the UTSA team but I did miss my pom poms a bit. What I missed most though was my flute, marching band made it look cool to play and it was awesome. I'm not afraid to admit that the singing of the alma mater and the fight song may have given me some goosebumps...






Yesterday evening (Saturday), the university put on a huge night in the (highly impressive) gym with bouncy castles, games and pizza galore. Unfortunately, I had to enjoy from afar for 15 mins as before I got there my flatmate had decided to leave and I couldn't find a fellow lost sheep to befriend. Oh well, very disappointed but tomorrow's a new day and hopefully my new flatmates will be up for going to things or I at least will have that bit more confidence to say hi to people whether they be alone or in a group, we shall see and I of course shall keep you all updated.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate