Monday 8 September 2014

Maladie du pays

Maladie du pays aka, sick for one's homeland, homesickness.

Last weekend, was Labour Day weekend here in America. It is basically, a day to remember a unionist march that took place in New York on 1st September, or something like that. It was nice that we got a day off but I found no other celebration to really participate in. As it is anyway, many students seem to go home at the weekend here and campus pretty much shuts down, so if anything I would have much rather been in class.

Class. Stress. Reading.
With the constant assessment style of American learning, you cannot afford to skip the odd reading or what have you as it is highly likely you will something required for a test. I was perfectly happy with this, as I have alluded to before the social life here is a lot quieter than back at Keele, my interactions with other people are class, gym classes and Chi Alpha (Christian organisation), so I have plenty have time to work but my books have not arrived as they should. That has meant that this week I am forced to cram three weeks of reading into one, absolute miserable nightmare. However, I am getting through and have booked myself a solo trip to New Orleans this weekend to make up for it!

I have found that this week my homesickness is coming through a little perhaps. I have noticed that I feel anything negative at all, stress, tiredness, hunger, it is sprinkled with sadness as opposed to being the individual emotion I just deal with. I am definitely coping though and being a little homesick is just making me feel so lucky that I have such great things, places and people to miss so much. It's all good, ultimately I would much rather be doing this than not, I am having a fantastic experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate