Monday 21 July 2014

Vaccinated for Vacating...

Just a quick note about getting all my necessary immunisations.

First word of advice: check with the country you're going to what exactly you need then go straight to  a travel clinic rather than your doctors. I did it the other way round but found out that one of the major tests I needed (one for TB) could only be done at a travel clinic but after waiting for appointments etc, it took a week for me to find this out. Also, check online if you need clearing from a doctor to get certain tests, I didn't so my appointment took about 15 mins long that it should. So save yourself the hassle.

Second: do it all asap. True to form, I cut it a bit fine with mine as I got the results of my TB test today, 3 weeks before I am flying. It's great that it came back negative because if it had been positive, I would have needed another needle and they say you should have them at the latest, 2 weeks before you go so yeah, sort it out quickly.

Third: if you're afraid of needles, don't be and by all means have no shame taking someone with you. I have tattoos and piercings so it's fairly clear, I'm not bothered by needles but whilst in the waiting room I saw someone older than me take a parent with them to get a vaccination - no shame!

Final piece of advice: ask about side effects of the vaccinations you're having. One of the ones I had was a meningitis booster which left me tired and a bit feverish all day. It was fine as I had no other plans for the day but I'd have had it before a day at work I'd have been in trouble.

Last thing's to do now are sort accommodation and have a final night out to officially say 'see you later' to my closest friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate