Sunday 21 December 2014

10 Ideas About How To Deal When It's Nearly Over

After finishing my exams last Tuesday, and not leaving San Antonio until tomorrow morning, I have had a lot of time on my hands. Time can be a curse because it gives you time to dwell on the fact you need to leave this fantastic place you've called home for 20 odd weeks. However, I have more than managed to fill that time, as I shall now share with you and pass on as tips!

1. Eat bad food
I have had about 4 takeaways, a packet of mini kit kats, a tube of pringles, a two litre bottle of sprite, a meal out and a few ferrero rochers in the space of two days. This may not sound like a lot but considering I've mainly been eating two decent meals a day this semester, that's a lot of crap. I regret nothing though!! Bad food is necessary when your emotions are a little all over the place, and it's winter so a little extra chub will keep you cosy.

2. Binge watch something
Other than eating what should you do with all this spare time?! How about that new TV series you've fancied watching for a while? Or, as it's nearly Christmas, how about 4 or 5 Christmas films a day? You've earned it! I've done both of these. I watched all nine episodes of How To Get Away With Murder and I am now on tenterhooks waiting for the next episode in January. It is a phenomenal show! The acting, storylines and scripting are superb, completely and utterly gripping. Even when a sex scene was merged with one of a post mortem, I was not wholly put off. Check. It. Out. I have also, been rewatching Dexter, a.k.a. creeping myself out because I sort of relate to him. This is another fairly graphic programme but it earns it's right to be through the excellent writing and character portrayals. I cannot even begin to list the amount of Christmas films I've watched on top of this, but there have been many and The Nightmare Before Christmas will always be the best.

3. Basically do nothing
Sleep. Stay in pjs all day. Speak to no one. Indulge in the quiet of having nothing to immediately do.

4. Except, tie up those loose ends
When studying abroad, your home university will probably as you to collect all marked pieces of work so they can make sure it has been graded to their standards. This is what Keele asked me to do at least, so the few days after finals, I had to make sure all of my professors knew to make my marked exams available to me. They did this without bother, thankfully. Packing is another loose end to be tied up, one I should probably get cracking with myself...

5. Remember that leaving is a side effect of arriving
Think practically about the whole situation, don't be silly. You knew you were leaving at some point, this was never forever so don't get yourself in an emotional mess, kidding yourself that it may have been.

6. Focus on the positives
Revel in the fact that you have accomplished something absolutely fantastic. YOU, went all the way to a different country, BY YOURSELF to live and study within a new system, with brand new people and you survived. There are memories and people you will forever be connected to, be proud of that; it's amazing. Also, all those things you've missed like crazy, the food, the people, the comfort of being home? It's just around the corner.

7. Make plans at home and where you are
I know for a fact jet lag will be an absolute bitch. I leave San Antonio at 10:20am on Monday 22nd December but I don't land in Manchester until 8:45am on Tuesday 23rd December, and then I have a 40 minute drive home to Liverpool. This is mainly thanks to 6 hour time difference, and the fact Texas is a bloody long way away from the UK. However, the thought of getting home, feeling sorry for myself in my tired state is repulsive so I plan on keeping busy, seeing people for an hour or two a day, making sure I can be in bed by 9pm and sleep as long as necessary. Of course it being Christmas helps, as people are all home from university and I have an Alex to visit but even if I didn't, plans to keep yourself busy at home are definitely important. They're important wherever you are abroad though, don't waste your last days moping about. Last night, for example, my roommate and I had a fantastic time, eating in Hooters (next time I go, I'm stuffing my bra, just saying...) and wandering the beautiful downtown San Antonio, seeing it all lit up for Christmas. Then this morning I went to church, which is currently held in a cinema screen (awesome!!) and sang Christmas carols. The perfect end to my amazing experience.

8. Indulge in the things you'll miss the most
This is pretty self explanatory, and I've alluded to how I've done this in my previous point but it is incredibly helpful to go out with a smile through doing what you've loved the most and are going to miss. My favourite thing, is wandering downtown, going to cine-church and binging on sugar cookies, so that's what I've done! It's helped. Loads.

9. If you haven't been keeping a blog, take time to make a list etc...
I'm really glad I've kept my blog and I haven't been shy with posting on Facebook, Twitter (https://twitter.com/LauFrances13) or Instagram (http://instagram.com/laufrancesmccann13), because now I have permanent records of all that I have done, seen, heard, felt, out here and that's priceless. I also, have plans to not stop this, life is a journey after all so I shall be keeping at it! So, if you haven't been the same, take this time to look back upon everything, you don't want to miss out on remembering this incredible adventure you've undertaken.

10. If you need to cry, do it, (if you don't, don't force it)
Seriously, just roll with your emotions. However you feel, show it. Those around may not understand but if they're decent people, care for you and like you, they'll deal and support you I am sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate